The Pros and Cons of Starting a Dog Training Business
All pet owners want their pets to be calm, well-behaved and healthy. Some dogs require a little more training than others to achieve this.
If you love dogs and have extensive experience with dog training and animal behavioral issues, a small business as a dog trainer might be a great business idea for you.
The Pros of Starting a Dog Training Business
Some of the reasons you may want to start a dog training business include:
- Startup costs are minimal.
- You can make it a part-time or full-time business.
- You can inexpensively rent or lease training space, or even go mobile.
- You can expand from basic obedience training to other services, such as training for special skills like tracking.
- It can be very lucrative once your business is established.
- It's personally rewarding to rehabilitate and train troubled animals.
The Cons of Starting a Dog Training Business
Potential challenges that may come with starting a dog training business include:
- You need extensive expertise in dog training.
- You have to have an understanding of the animal mind.
- You need to be patient with both the dogs and their owners.
- You need to be able to educate so dog owners can continue your training.
- It can be difficult to manage pet owners who don't follow through on training.
- You may have to work evenings and weekends to accommodate clients.