101 Small Business Marketing Ideas
One universal small business goal is to sell the business's products and services. This is usually best accomplished by positioning the business in front of the target audience, and offering something that solves a problem or that they can't refuse or find elsewhere.
To this end, one of the smartest things a small business owner can do for his or her business is to take the time to develop a that will set them apart from the competition. A marketing plan clearly outlines how you will reach your ideal customers by effectively implementing your .
There are thousands of ways you can promote your small business. With the right mix of activities, you can identify and focus on the most effective marketing tactics for your small business. Here is a list of 101 small business marketing ideas to get you thinking about all of the different ways you can promote your business.
1. Update or for your business.
2. Revisit or start your .
3. Conduct a .
4. Write a (USP).
5. Refine your target audience and niche.
6. Expand your product and service offerings.
7. Update your .
8. Make your business card stand out from the rest.
9. Create or update your brochure.
10. Create a digital version of your brochure for your website.
11. Explore a .
12. Get and give them away at the next networking event you attend.
13. Write an .
15. Introduce yourself to other local business owners.
16. Plan a local .
17. Join your local chamber of commerce.
18. Rent a booth at a .
19. Launch a multi-piece campaign.
20. Create multiple approaches, and split test your mailings to measure impact.
21. Include a clear and enticing on every direct mail piece.
22. Use tear cards, inserts, props and attention-getting envelopes to make an impact with your mailings.
23. Send past customers free samples and other to regain their business.
24. Advertise on the radio.
25. Advertise in the Yellow Pages.
26. Advertise on a billboard.
27. Use stickers or magnets to advertise on your car.
28. Take out an ad in your local newspaper.
29. Advertise on a local cable TV station.
30. Advertise on .
31. Advertise on .
32. Buy ad space on a relevant website.
33. Use a to promote your specials.
Social Media Marketing
34. Get started with .
35. Create a Facebook page.
36. Get a vanity URL or username for your Facebook page.
37. Create a .
38. Reply or retweet someone else on Twitter.
39. Set up a Foursquare account for your business.
40. List your business on Google Places.
41. Start a .
42. Write blog posts on a regular basis.
43. Start social bookmarking your online content.
44. Create a .
45. Start a pay-per-click campaign.
46. Start a pay-per-click campaign.
47. Comment on a blog post.
48. Record a video blog post.
49. Upload a video to .
50. Check your online directory listings and get listed in desirable directories.
51. Set up on your website and blog.
52. Review and measure your Google Analytics statistics.
53. Register a new domain name for a marketing campaign or a new product or service.
54. Learn more about .
Track your online reputation.
56. Sign up for the (HARO) email list.
57. Create an on your website or blog.
58. Offer a free download or free gift to make people willing to add their email address to your list.
59. Send regular emails to your list.
60. Start a free monthly .
61. Use to measure the effectiveness of your email campaigns.
62. Perfect your .
63. Add audio, video and social sharing functionality to your emails.
Contests, Coupons and Incentives
64. Start a contest.
65. Create a coupon.
66. Create a "frequent buyer" rewards program.
67. Start a .
68. Create a customer of the month program.
69. Give away a free sample.
70. Start an .
71. Send out a .
72. Ask for .
73. Make a referral.
74. Help promote or for a charity event.
75. Sponsor a local sports team.
76. your products and services with other local businesses.
77. Join a professional organization.
78. Plan your next holiday promotion.
79. Plan for your best customers.
80. Send birthday cards to your clients.
81. Approach a colleague about a .
82. Donate branded prizes for local fundraisers.
Become a mentor.
84. Plan a free or webinar.
85. Record a .
86. Write a .
87. Submit your press release to various distribution channels.
88. Rewrite your sales copy with a storytelling spin.
89. Start writing a book.
90. Hire a .
91. Hire a public relations professional.
92. Hire a professional copywriter.
93. Hire a firm.
94. Hire an intern to help with daily marketing tasks.
95. Hire a sales coach or salesperson.
Unique Marketing Ideas
96. Get a branded tattoo.
97. Create a business mascot to help promote your brand.
98. Take a controversial stance on a hot industry topic.
99. Pay for .
100. Get a full-body branded paint job done on your company vehicle.
101. Sign up for to revamp, expand and fine-tune all of your marketable skills.
Once you have a few brand new marketing ideas to try in your small business, get started on creating or fine tuning your .