How to Cut Costs
Personal Cost-Cutting 101
Learn how to save on household expenses, food, and entertainment. Become a master at the art of bargain shopping, and start managing your money better.
Smart money management is a vital part of the frugal lifestyle. Learn how to take charge of your savings, investments, retirement planning and all other facets of your financial life.
- How to Create a Frugal Budget: Nine steps to create a budget.
- Get Rid of Credit Card Debt: How to assess your debt, create a budget, cut your spending, start saving and attack your debt.
- What's Keeping You from Saving? How to analyze why you can't save money so you can make the right changes.
- Start an Emergency Fund: Six steps to creating that rainy-day fund.
- Develop a Monthly Spending Plan: Simple steps for getting a handle on your spending.
- Budget Annual Spending: Make sure you account for the expenses that hit once or twice a year.
- Organize Your Finances: How to set financial goals, track your spending, create a budget, and determine your net worth.
- Stop Credit Card Offers from Reaching Your Mailbox: Don't be tempted to take out new cards.
- How to Create a Bare-Bones Budget: Taking a strict look at how much you must spend.
- Pay Off Your Mortgage Faster: Five ways you can shorten your mortgage.
- Make the Most of Low-Interest Rates: Six tricks for making the most of low rates.
- How to Refinance an Auto Loan: Take these six steps to get a better rate.
- How to Lower Credit Card Interest Rates: Use these tactics to get your bank to lower your rate.
- Recession-pPoof Your Finances: Nine key tactics to survive a recession.
- Ways to Earn Extra Money: Turn your time into money.
Save on Household Expenses
Discover simple ways to lower your utility bills, phone bill, homeowner's insurance and all of those other bills that seem to find their way into your mailbox.
- Easy Ways to Save on Household Expenses: Use these eight tactics.
- How to Make Things Last Longer: If you can get more use out of the things you already have, you will save money and trips to the store.
- Save on Heating Costs: Put a dent in your energy bill with these tactics.
- Ways to Keep Warm (Without Turning Up the Heat): Get through the winter with these tricks.
- Simple Ways to Save on Air Conditioning Costs: Make these changes and reduce your bill.
- Ways to Keep Cool (Without Cranking Up the AC): Try these tricks and you will stay cooler.
- Lower Your Electric Bill: Dozens of ideas to save.
- Save Money on Your Water Bill: How to save in your kitchen, bathroom, laundry and around the house.
- Lower Your Phone Bill: Seven strategies to save on that landline.
- Save Money on Your Cell Phone Bill: 14 ways you won't waste money.
- Lower Your Homeowner's Insurance Premium: Don't pay more than you need to spend to protect your home investment.
- Should I Replace My Appliances? Guidelines to decide when it's time to get a new and more energy-efficient appliances.
- Top 7 Ways to Save on New Appliances: When it's time for new ones, uses these tips.
- Increase the Efficiency of Your Refrigerator: Take these steps and you will save energy and money.
Save on Food
Everyone's got to eat, but the frugal person knows how to do it for less – whether it's at the grocery store or at a restaurant.
- Simple Ways to Slash Your Grocery Bill: You can save at the store with these strategies.
- Make Over Your Grocery List: You will end up with a healthier diet as well as saving money when you change your shopping list.
- Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget: Good food isn't just for the wealthy, You can eat better using these 12 steps.
- Learn How to Cook from Scratch: You save money when you make it yourself, and you will know what you're eating and eliminate unwanted additives.
- Eat Seasonally and Save: Find out what is in season and when so you know when to shop for the best prices and freshest food.
- The Cheapest Fruits and Vegetables Month-By-Month: What to buy month by month for the best value.
- How to Keep Foods Fresh Longer: Don't let your aspirational groceries go bad before you can use them.
- Save on Organics: Buying organic doesn't have to break your budget. Here's how to eat organically for less.
- Printable Grocery Coupons: Sources for coupons to use at the store.
- How to Get More Coupons: Use these tips to subscribe for more coupons or pick up more printed ones.
- Eat Out for Less: If you love dining out, use these 10 tips to save money.
- How to Get Free Food: 13 ways you can eat without paying a dime.
- Is It Still Good? You might not have to toss it.
- Build a Grocery Stockpile: How to stock your pantry.
- Shop International Grocery Stores and Save: You'll be surprised at how much you can save if you shop for these staples at an international grocery store rather than the supermarket.
Save on Entertainment
Even fun can be frugal! Discover enough cheap entertainment ideas to keep you busy for days.
- Make the Most of Your Library Card: It's not just for books anymore. You can enjoy movies, DVDs, games, puzzles, audiobooks, internet access and more.
- Save Money on Books: Seven ways to fuel your reading habit for less.
- Save Money on Movie Tickets: 15 ideas to save at the cinema.
- Get Free eBooks: Six sources of free electronic books.
- Find Free Music Online: Seven sources of free tunes online.
- Watch Free TV Online with Hulu: You may be able to cut the cable.
- Free Movie Rentals: Six places you can rent a movie for free.
- Top 8 Frugal Hobbies: Don't know what you can do that is fun and saves you money? Try your hand at these pasttimes.
- Free and Nearly-Free Kids' Events: These stores have great workshops and events for kids.
- Frugal Crafts and Recipes for Kids: Put those little hands to work.
- Frugal Travel Planning: Four steps to enjoy a great vacation for less.
- Take a Free Vacation: Use these eight ideas for free travel.
- Save Money at Amusement Parks: These tips will help your wallet be as happy as your kids.
Bargain Shopping Strategies
Bargain shopping – it's a frugalite's dream. Learn how to coupon, rebate, clearance shop and haggle your way to the best deals.
- The Best Time to Buy Everything: It's all in the timing. Know when you will get the best deals for various items, month by month.
- How to Coupon Effectively: Learn how to find and organize your coupons and then get maximum savings.
- Advanced Couponing Strategies: Take your couponing game to the next level.
- Make Your Own Sales: You don't have to wait for the store to post a sale if you use these tactics.
- Stores Offering Layaway: Take advantage of sales prices while giving yourself time to finalize the deal.
- Rebate Like a Pro: Get money back on your purchases.
- How to Haggle: Know how to bargain and you will save big bucks on used items and major purchases.
- Buy Gift Cards for Less: Six ways you can pay less than the value of the card.
- How to Get Free Gift Cards: Nine strategies to score freebies.
- The Longest Yard Sales in the US: You can save for miles and miles.
How to Save Money Store by Store
Use these tips for each retailer to snag the most savings.
- Save Money at CVS
- Save at Walgreens
- Save at Rite Aid
- Save Money on Amazon
- Save Money at Target
- Save Money at Walmart
- Save Money at JCPenney
- Save Money at Home Depot
- Save Money at Lowes