High School Student Resume Example
High school students may need a resume to apply for a job or as part of a college application. Even if you haven't held a paid job before, there's still plenty of information to include on your resume. High schoolers can highlight educational achievements, after-school activities, and volunteer work.
Tips for Writing a Resume as a High Schooler
Start by thinking through what information you want to include. Take some time to write a list of any awards, accomplishments, and activities you engage in.
Just write down rough notes, for now. Later, you'll sort this information into sections and add dates and details.
Consider what you want to accomplish with your resume, too. Do you want to get a specific job or are you looking to highlight your work for a college application? Once you have a sense of the information you want to include in your resume, review the various , , and .
Before writing your own resume, it can be helpful to review samples. Don't copy the content in samples; instead, use them for inspiration for how to phrase things and proper formatting.
The following is an example of a resume for a high school student. It includes both formal and informal work experience, volunteering, and academic achievements. The resume lists work experience first, followed by the student's volunteer experience and achievements, and then her education. If you have no formal work experience, here's another example of a resume you can use instead.
Also, note that the resume has a that focuses on the student's skills that are the best match for the job for which she is applying. This way, the employer can see at a glance why the applicant would be a good candidate for the job.
High School Student Resume Example (Text Version)
6 Oak Street
Arlington, VA 54321
Honor roll high school student with extensive experience working with youth all ages, who has been praised and awarded for her organizational skills and ability to develop fun, engaging activities for youth of all ages, seeks an entry-level child position with an area child care provider or retail firm.
THE RETAIL STORE, Arlington, VA
Sales Associate/Manager, September 2016-Present
Maintain and restock inventory; provide customer service; responsible for training incoming associates in operating cash register system due to track record of excellence.
- Named “Employee of the Month” three times.
- Attended a “Sales Associate Training” conference in Washington, D.C.; was selected as one of 10 out of 1,000 sales associates from Virginia to attend the conferences.
- Promoted to manager in 2017; was the youngest associate to reach the position in store history.
KINDERFUN PRESCHOOL; Arlington, VA
Child Care Provider, September 2014-August 2016
Provided childcare for a dozen families after school, on weekends, and during school vacations.
- Developed and implemented fun, educational activities for children, from ages 1 to 8 years.
RUN FOR LIFE, Arlington, VA
Publicist, November-December 2017
Assisted in marketing the charity run via social media; oversaw cleanup after the race.
- Managed 20 volunteers of all ages in setting up booths, operating the registration, and facilitating the race.
High School Diploma (June 2019; Expected Graduation Date); GPA 3.9
Arlington High School, Arlington, VA
- Honor roll each semester; captain of the debate team; president of the Key (service) Club.
- Elective Classes and Activities: Screen Printing, Culture & Foods, Independent Living, Family Advocacy, Wind Ensemble, Stage Crew
Member of the Arlington High School Tennis Team • Girl Scout • Piano, 10 years