High School Student Resume Example
High school students may need a resume to apply for a job or as part of a college application. Even if you haven't held a paid job before, there's still plenty of information to include on your resume. High schoolers can highlight educational achievements, after-school activities, and volunteer work.
Tips for Writing a Resume as a High Schooler
Start by thinking through what information you want to include.
Take some time to write a list of any awards, accomplishments, and activities you engage in. Just write down rough notes, for now. Later, you'll sort this information into sections and add dates and details.
Consider what you want to accomplish with your resume, too. Do you want to get a specific job or are you looking to highlight your work for a college application? Once you have a sense of the information you want to include in your resume, review the various , , and .
Before writing your own resume, it can be helpful to review samples. Don't copy the content in samples; instead, use them for inspiration for how to phrase things and proper formatting.
The following is an example of a resume for a high school student. It includes both formal and informal work experience, volunteering, and academic achievements.
The resume lists education first, then achievements, followed by the student's work and volunteer experience. If you have no formal work experience, here's another example of a resume you can use instead.
Also, see below for an example of a resume with a summary for a high school student. This one has a that focuses on the student's skills that are the best match for the jobs for which he or she is applying.
This way, the employer can see at a glance why the applicant would be a good candidate for the job.
High School Student Resume Example
6 Oak Street, Arlington, VA 12333
Arlington High School, Arlington, Virginia
20XX – present
• National Honor Society: 20XX, 20XX, 20XX
• Academic Honor Roll: 20XX - 20XX
Sales Associate, The Retail Store
June 20XX – Present
• Maintain and restock inventory.
• Provide customer service.
• Responsible for training incoming associates in operating cash register system due to track record of excellence.
20XX - Present
• Provide childcare for half a dozen families after school, weekends, and during school vacations.
• Develop and implement fun and educational activities for all children, ranging from ages 1 year to 8 years.
Arlington Literacy Program
• Run book monthly for six eight-year-olds
Run for Life
• Assist in marketing (via social media), setting up booths, running registration, and cleaning up for bi-annual race.
Interests / Activities
• Member of Arlington High School Tennis Team
• Girl Scout
• Piano, 10 years
High School Resume Example with Resume Summary
First Name Last Name
6 Elm Avenue, Stockler, CA 91733
Home: 111.111.1111 Cell: 766.555.4444
Honor roll high school student with a passion for working with children. Extensive experience working with youth of a variety of ages. Praised and awarded for organizational skills and ability to develop safe, fun environment for children.
Pepperona Central High School, Pepperona, CA
High School Diploma anticipated in May 20XX
GPA 3.86, honor roll each semester
Electives: Screen printing, Culture & Foods, Independent Living, Family Advocacy
Activities: Wind Ensemble, Stage Crew
VOLUNTEER & COMMUNITY SERVICE
Stocklerbridge Hospital, Stockler, CA
Pediatric Ward Volunteer
Fall 20XX - present
- Develop and implement activities to entertain patients ages 5-15, including arts and crafts activities and theater workshops
- Perform administrative work and run errands for pediatric staff
- Received Volunteer-of-the-Summer award for critical role in developing a theater program for patients
Stockler Recreation Department, City of Stockler
Counselor in Training (CIT)
- Led arts, crafts, sports, games, camping, and hobby workshops for groups of 8-10 year olds
- Monitored groups of up to seven children on weekly field trips to the zoo, water parks, and on walking tours
- Co-wrote and co-directed summer play performed by 15 campers
- Ensure campers were dropped off and picked up safely
What Else You Should Know: | |