6 Basic Marketing Strategies to Increase Your Business
A Mix of Marketing Strategies Is Best for Business
is the most common problem that people running or starting small businesses ask me about - their marketing strategies are not giving them the results they want. Typically, they say something like, "I've placed some ads but they just don't seem to be doing anything." In other words, not bringing them the customers, or sales they desire.
Marketing Is More Than Advertising
But marketing and are not synonymous and 'placing a few ads' is never going to draw the kind of business a small business needs to be . Marketing is a process, not an event. It involves and implementing (often a series of) marketing strategies to achieve them.
Now that doesn't mean marketing has to be a complicated process. But it does mean you have to know what you want to achieve and get out there and work at it. Here are six basic marketing strategies you can use to increase your customers and sales.
6 Basic Marketing Strategies
1) Offer some free classes/workshops related to your products and/or services — in your home, in a rented venue or through a local education institution such as a Community College. or events, if appropriate. For instance, someone with a beading business might offer special workshops on Beaded Christmas Projects or Beading for Girls. A yoga instructor might offer classes such as Yoga for Men or Yoga for Seniors.
2) . Many, such , are inexpensive to join. And the marketing benefits are huge. Once they get to know you and what you do, the other business people in your group will mention your business to others and may even give you referrals. Local business organizations are also great opportunities to create and participate in some , such as holding special Market Days or other events.
3) Create or become front and center in a charitable event. You can get huge amounts of press for events like this - which can translate . One local artist has painted paper grocery bags which he is selling with all proceeds going to a selected charity, for example. But you don’t even have to go to the trouble of creating your own event; many charities have established events that you can become a very visible part of by becoming a sponsor. See for more on charity-based marketing strategies.
4) Create your own — and use it to build an audience of people who would be interested in your products and/or services. is easier than . Then write regularly about topics related to your business and what your business is doing. You'll start connecting with other bloggers, business people, and potential customers.
5) Join and use Twitter. If you have time to get to know and use a variety of , do. But if you only have time for one, Twitter is my pick of all the out there because it's so quick and easy to use. will have you up and tweeting in no time. As for basic marketing strategies, be sure you don't use Twitter exclusively to promote your product but to find and converse with like-minded people who may be interested in what you're doing. Read for details.
6) . If you operate a , you know that I have saved the best for last here, because asking for referrals is the easiest and least time-consuming of all the marketing strategies in this article. It really makes me wonder why it's also one of the least used . If you don't regularly ask your satisfied customers for referrals because you don't know how or feel awkward doing it, read my article; it provides scripts you can use to make it easier to do.
The Marketing Rope
Don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with advertising. It's just that in most cases it won't be not effective marketing unless it's part of a coordinated . Think of marketing as a rope and as one strand of the rope. How strong is a one strand rope going to be?
A mix of basic marketing strategies, such as advertising in conjunction with the strategies above, will get you the marketing results you want. None of these marketing strategies are going to draw hordes of customers overnight but, assuming you have a good product or service, if you do them and work at them consistently, you will see