Where to Get W-2 Forms and 1099-MISC Forms

payroll tax forms
••• DNY59/Getty Images

UPDATE: The deadline for filing W-2 and W-3 forms with the Social Security Administration (SSA) has been changed, effective for 2016 payments and beyond. For 2017 tax year forms, the filing deadline is January 31, 2018. The deadline for giving W-2 forms to employees is still January 31.

The January 31 deadline also applies to 1099-MISC forms for non-employees. You must give these forms to independent contractors and other non-employees by January 31, and you must also submit the forms to the IRS by January 31.


If the January 31 date falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the next business day. you can read the details in this article about the  

Where to Get W-2 Forms and 1099-MISC Forms 

January is a busy time for businesses, so save yourself some stress by getting your annual payroll tax reporting forms now.

  • If you have employees, you will need to give them the annual wage and tax forms they will need for filing their income tax returns. I
  • If you hire contract workers, other businesses (including attorneys), you must give them a form if you pay them more than $600 in a year.

Here are some places to get those tax reporting forms:

    An office supply store. The major office supply stores have packets of W-2 forms and 1099-MISC forms that you can print on your own printer. They may be available in your local store, or you can order online.

    Your local accounting firm. If you don't have one, it might be time to find a good CPA or tax preparer. to help you with business taxes. In addition to helping you complete your business tax form, an accountant can also take your payroll information and complete and file W-2 forms or 1099-MISC forms.

    Your tax software. Here are the details on which version of which tax software can help you prepare W-2s and 1099s:

    From the IRS. You might still have time to order tax forms directly from the IRS. Go to their for more information.

      Where You CANNOT Get W-2 Forms or 1099-MISC Forms 

      You cannot download W-2 forms or 1099-MISC forms from the IRS or elsewhere on the Internet.  Copy A of the W-2 form is in a specific color of red ink and cannot be duplicated.  You must file the specific IRS form of Copy A with the Social Security Administration. This is the copy you keep and file with Social Security at the end of January. 

      Filing W-2 Forms and 1099-MISC Forms Online

      Filing W-2 Forms Online. You may also want to , with the Social Security Administration, through their portal. 

      Filing 1099-MISC Forms Online. You can file 1099-MISC forms, and other 1099 forms, online with the IRS through theIf you file 250 or more returns, you must file electronically. 


      Don't forget that, after you provide W-2 forms to employees and 1099-MISC forms to contract workers, you must also file these forms with the appropriate federal agency at the end of January.

      More on , including how to complete the form and where to file on January 31.

      More on including how to complete the form and where to file on January 31.