Considerations When Replacing Microsoft Money
Here Are Three Considerations When Replacing Microsoft Money
The full version of Microsoft Money personal finance software has been replaced by the free download, Money Plus Sunset Deluxe. While the software works for basic money management tasks, it does not include tech support or any features that required internet services.
When You're Considering Replacing Microsoft Money
If you're looking for more, here are three options for replacing Microsoft Money software.
Option 1: Desktop Software Alternatives
Take a look at my list of desktop personal finance software choices to narrow down your choices for Microsoft Money replacement software. There are several alternatives to Microsoft Money, and the majority of the software listed comes with a free trial, so it will cost nothing to experiment to find what works best:
- Moneydance: Moneydance is available for Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems. An app version is available for iOS Apple devices as well as Android devices.
- Quicken Personal Finance Software: Quicken offers more flexibility for personal finance software users with a much-improved budget feature, easier loan tracking and a for iPhone, iPad, and Android. See the section below for more details on using Quicken to replace Microsoft Money.
- You Need a Budget: YNAB is personal finance software with strong budgeting features. The software runs on Windows or Mac computers, with iPad, iPhone, Android and Kindle Fire apps, as well as an app for the Apple Watch. View accounts, checking your budget and enter transactions when you're not at your computer.
- AceMoney: AceMoney is actively developed so this already good Windows personal finance software option is always being improved upon.
- SplashMoney: Consider SplashMoney if you want easy-to-use, reasonably-priced personal finance software with decent customization options but without an exhaustive list of advanced features.
- Fortora Fresh Finance: Personal finance data in Fortora Fresh Finance can be shared among multiple users on one computer or over a network, and data works with both the Mac and Windows versions of the software.
- GnuCash: GnuCash is free thanks to the open source movement. This financial software can be used to track personal finances and also works nicely as small business accounting software. Gnucash tracks a variety of account types, stocks, income and expenses.
Option 2: Online Financial Software
You could switch to online personal finance software, which has benefits like never having to install the software or wait for updates. The security in online financial software is generally as secure as your bank's online banking site and uses data encryption and other methods of keeping data safe.
Option 3: Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Deluxe
If you can do without automatic transaction downloads and a few other features that require Internet access, Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Deluxe is still a good option. This version of Money is free and although it doesn't have all the features that you enjoyed in MS Money when it was sold as retail software, Sunset Deluxe is free.
Is Quicken a Good Microsoft Money Replacement?
Quicken is often the first option considered for those replacing Microsoft Money. It is very robust personal finance software that works well. However, Quicken is relatively expensive, has no free trial and has had its share of issues.
Quicken has a Microsoft Money data converter, but not all data transfers easily because of differences in database structures. Quicken also does not offer a free trial (though the mobile apps have free versions to try), so if you decide it won't work for you, you'll need to request a refund within 60 days of purchase.
Consider Quicken, but also consider other personal finance software as well.
Learning to Use the New Personal Finance Software
You will have a slight learning curve when navigating any new personal finance software that replaces Microsoft Money. Some aspects of the new personal finance software will be easy to use for former Microsoft Money users, but be patient as you learn how to get around in the software.
Remember to use the Help menu in the new software to learn how to use features that work a bit differently than in Microsoft Money.