Construction Resume Example and Tips
The following is an example of a resume for a job in construction. This resume writer emphasizes her knowledge of particular software programs that are used often in construction and engineering. She highlights these skills to stand out to employers looking for workers knowledgeable in the latest industry technologies.
When writing a resume for a construction job, it’s important to echo the that employers use in their job advertisements.
This is because many employers use automated which are programmed to give priority to resumes that incorporate specific keywords. If you take the time to , it will help your application get noticed.
What to Include in Your Resume
While the resume example below, targeted to civil engineering jobs, emphasizes engineering software programs, resumes for other sorts of construction jobs might use different keywords, depending upon the skills that are being sought in the job description. Some of these include:
- For Construction Managers / Supervisors: construction management, project management, inspection, labor relations, quality control, scheduling, supervising, building site supervision, blueprints, reporting, time management, punch lists, contracting, estimating, material costing, invoicing, renovations, OSHA, hazardous materials, HAZMAT, building codes, electrical codes, and environmental codes.
- For Construction Tradespeople: brick laying, carpentry, cement mixing, concrete mixing, plumbing, drywall installation, electrical wiring, HVAC, refrigeration, sheet metal work, iron work, masonry, metal lathing, painting, pipe fitting, roofing, surveying, carpeting, trim detailing.
- For General Construction Labor roles: heavy lifting, heavy equipment operation (bulldozers, forklifts, backhoes), measuring, safety regulations, hammer skills, power tools, demolition, truck driving.
This resume includes sections on , education, and . It also contains an initial, keyword-rich (also known as a qualifications profile) that serves to immediately demonstrate to a hiring manager that the candidate has the qualifications outlined in the job advertisement. Finally, in the “Experience” section, it uses to describe key projects and achievements that will help the candidate stand out among the competition.
Construction Resume Example
123 Main Street
Albany, NY 12345
(111) (111 -1111)
Detail- and deadline-oriented Civil Engineer Technician leveraging superb command of CADD and Auto Cad to facilitate timely design of state-of-the-art construction site plans. Meticulously handle budget estimation and cost control responsibilities, closely tracking project phases to ensure completion within established budgets and timeframes. Natural leader, inspiring maximum work site productivity through open communications, strategic team building, and proactive needs assessment and problem-solving.
Civil Engineer Technician, Albany Construction
Responsible for layout, design and production of site plans and preliminary blueprints for commercial office, retail and residential projects. Distribute, use, and maintain materials (including construction materials, machinery, and hand-held tools) for team of up to 20 workers. Maintain safe, clean work areas of up to 60,000 square feet. Key Projects:
- Red River Shopping Mall (56K sq. ft.; 24.9M budget): Successfully streamlined construction designs and processes to ensure on-time execution of 7-store strip mall.
- Sunnyside Acres (10,322 sq. ft.; $7.8M budget): Led project team’s design and planning of 12-unit apartment complex.
- Homestyle Assisted Living (11,250 sq. ft.; $11M budget): Rendered preliminary blueprints for 80-unit assisted living facility.
Civil Engineer Technician, Mistrals Group
New York, NY
Responsible for planning, cost analysis, preliminary approvals applications, and design and production of site plans.
- Stayed under budget for complex housing project, reducing costs by 14%
- Involved with all phases of design and construction of over a dozen retail store projects, including: Trader Joes (Albany, NY), Barnes & Noble (Secaucus, NJ), Lowe’s (Syracuse, NY), and Nordstrom (Buffalo, NY), J. Crew (Albany, NY), and Walgreens (Saratoga Springs, NY).
- Steadily promoted through initial roles as draftsman and site coordinator to assume Civil Engineer Technician responsibilities.
Draftsman / Site Work Coordinator, Eagle Eye Construction
New York, NY
Conducted field surveys for dozens of sites, both private and public. Drafted dozens of office and retail improvement projects.
- Responsible for survey crew training and scheduling for over 20 crew members
XYZ Community College
Civil Engineering Certificate, 19XX
- Computer Aid Drafting and Designing (CADD) and Auto CAD
- Experience with HTML and web-designing software
- Knowledge of OSHA construction site safety standards and regulations
- Spanish (intermediate)
More About Resumes and Cover Letters: | | |