5 Best Vanguard Funds
These Are 5 of the Best Mutual Funds from Vanguard Investments
Vanguard Investments offers investors a large variety of high-quality no-load mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Therefore finding the best Vanguard funds can be challenging, to say the least, because there are so many to choose from.
There are low-cost index funds, actively managed mutual funds, sector funds and more at Vanguard. So without further ado, and in no particular order, here are five top funds to buy at Vanguard, all of which represent different mutual fund categories.
5 of the Best Vanguard Funds to Buy
- Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (): This is the biggest mutual fund in the world for good reason. VTSMX passively covers the entire U.S. stock market in one fund. Therefore investors get exposure to thousands of stocks in one cheap fund. And like many of the cheapest stock funds, long-term performance tends to beat the majority of actively-managed funds, especially for 10-year periods and longer.
- Vanguard Total Bond Market Index (): Like VTSMX, this fund invests in the entire U.S. market, except in the case of VBMFX, it's the entire bond market. The combination of low expenses and broad diversification makes VBMFX hard to beat, especially in the long run.
- Vanguard Total International Stock Index (): Continuing the theme of capturing large portions of the stock market with one low-cost mutual fund, VGTSX offers exposure to more than 5,000 stocks outside of the U.S. As a passively-managed index fund that tracks an index, don't expect VGTSX to be a top performer in the short run but the long-term returns, such as those of 10 years or longer, can be expected to be above average and ahead of the majority of actively-manged funds.
- Vanguard Wellesley Income (): Other than index funds, Vanguard offers many outstanding actively-managed funds, such as VWINX, which is a balanced fund. Also called asset allocation funds, balanced funds hold a mix of stocks, bonds and cash that reflects the fund's primary objective, which is usually categorized as conservative, moderate or aggressive. VWINX is one of the best conservative funds you can buy. It's allocation normally fluctuates around 40% stocks and 60% stocks but the long-term returns have historically looked as good as moderate allocation funds.
- Vanguard Health Care (): Vanguard also offers sector funds and VGHCX is one of the best and oldest on the market. Focusing on healthcare stocks, such as Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) and UnitedHealth Group (UNH), VGHCX is one of the best performing funds over the past 20 years. Benefiting from an aging population and advances in biotechnology and medical devices, VGHCX could be a top performer over the next decade or more.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and should not be misconstrued as investment advice. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.