The Best Personal Finance and Investment Magazines
Since there are so many finance magazines on the market, selecting the right ones to read regularly may seem daunting. We have compiled a short list that will get you headed in the right direction on your path to mastering the basics of investing and personal finance. Spend a few hours per month and you'll pick up knowledge at a fast pace. Browse through the selection below and find one that fits your reading style.
The Best Finance Magazines That Cover Personal Finance
- : Kiplinger offers some of the best practical, no-nonsense and objective personal financial advice you can find. For example, they pick their top 25 mutual funds every year, and at the end of the year they objectively compare their picks to an equivalent portfolio of index funds and publish the results, which often show that the index funds outperform. Kiplinger offers monthly magazine subscriptions broken into specific topics as well as the Kiplinger Letter and the Kiplinger Tax Letter which come out weekly. They also have the Kiplinger Retirement Report.
- : This monthly publication does a fantastic job of profiling real people and the financial steps they can take. They offer solid advice for all income levels. But when they start talking about the "5 Funds to Own Now" or other such commercialized headlines, just roll your eyes and flip the page. The financial planning industry has a saying for those types of headlines; we call them investment pornography.
The Best Finance Magazines Covering Investment Topics
- Investor's Business Daily: Investor's Business Daily is a finance magazine for the serious investor. It's a well-respected publication that offers market and stock analysis for those who want to pick and choose their own stocks and bonds. I've never personally subscribed, but I've always heard great things about this publication.
- : All it takes to keep your finger on the pulse of what's going on in Corporate America is a quick read of the front cover of the Wall Street Journal each morning.
The Best News Magazines That Cover Finance, Business, Markets, and the Economy
- : Although not a dedicated finance magazine, this is one of our all-time favorite publications. These articles can help you gain perspective on what is going on here in the United States by framing things in a more global context. The Economist describes itself as an "authoritative weekly newspaper focusing on international politics and business news and opinion." This one is a must read.
- : Although US News & World Report is not a finance magazine, it has an excellent money section that is sure to give you insight into the latest market and economic events. The pulse of what's going on is usually summarized nicely.
- : The New York Times has an outstanding reputation for quality journalism. Rather than sensation, you'll get a thoughtful analysis of current issues.
- : Business Week, a weekly publication, is going to give you insight into business and management trends across the globe.